Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Reflection on Design for Disasters

In the end i was happy with what i came up with but it was a mad rush because i switched my design with 2 weeks to go. The thing that gets me about this whole designing process is that you can come so far (1 month down the track in my case) and only then realise that your design isn't great or feasible or there isn't a hole in the market where you are looking. I researched floatation devices for a whole month and put forward some innovations but then i kept finding that it was not feasible or had been solved in a more refined way already.

Fortunately with 2 weeks to go i started looking into hypothermia as this is one of the most common causes of death in these disaster situations and i believe i found a significant hole in the market. This has definitely been the most research heavy project I've undertaken and I am happy because I believe the proof of concept is there - obviously it feels much better to have a product that you think can really work! However after all that research my time was running short, I spent almost a week creating the patterns for the suit and another 2 days learning to sew! In the end it was my posters that suffered. Still, i am happy with the final product and the posters can easily be fixed later for inclusion in my folio.

No comments: